- Science in Solution (pdf) - a great, short piece outlining how undergraduate research impacts student learning (courtesy of Dave Bauer).
- Compilation of Advice from 2015 Viterbo Summer Research Faculty Mentors
- Compilation of Advice from pre-2015 Viterbo Summer Research Faculty Mentors
- Mentoring Undergraduate Researchers: Where to Begin?
- CRA-W's excellent collection of mentoring resources and "how-to" guides
Resources from Viterbo University Faculty-Student Research Teams
Ethical Research Practice
Viterbo's Institutional Review Board Website (Note: If your research involves working with human subject in any way, you must submit a research proposal and have it approved BEFORE you and your student(s) start work.)
Faculty Benefits of Student-Faculty Undergraduate Research
- Invigorates intellect and increases enthusiasm.
- Enhances teaching effectiveness and job satisfaction.
- Promotes advancements in research program (research shows that students are able to make meaningful/productive contributions to assigned research projects)
- Increases access to grant funding.
- Enhances faculty members' ability to remain current in their field/discipline.
- Promotes greater engagement with students, colleagues, and the community.
- Provides faculty with a platform to motivate, inspire and contribute to the educational experiences and professional development of future researchers. Faculty often derive personal satisfaction from "watching" students' professional growth.
- Allows mentorship of enthusiastic, highly-motivated students.
- Produces recognition by one's internal and external peers.
- Improves teaching techniques, such as in investigative laboratories.
- Augments results transfer from one's scholarship into the classroom.
- Promotes the concept of lifelong learning for students.
Institutional Benefits of Student-Faculty Undergraduate Research
- Enhances intellectual vitality and reputation of the institution.
- Attracts talented faculty and builds research programs.
- Attracts engaged students and community interest.
- Produces external funding and recognition; brings new equipment and facilities.
- Encourages innovative and collaborative curricula.
- Promotes engagement with national trends in higher education and new research directions.
- Breaks down barriers between students and faculty as well as teaching and research by integrating all into the teacher-scholar concept.
Information Assembled by Other Institutions
- UNC-Chapel Hill Office for Undergraduate Research
- University of Buffalo Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities
Costs and Benefits of Faculty-Student Collaborative Undergraduate Research
- Undergraduate Research Assistantship: A Comparison of Benefits and Costs from Faculty and Students' Perspectives
- Exploring Faculty Perceptions of the Benefits and Challenges of Mentoring Undergraduate Research
Contact Kirsten Gabriel at email@example.com or 608-796-3086.