The fitness center provides patrons with the ability to work out in a controlled environment. The center has free weights, weight machines, cardio equipment, mats, and other equipment associated with weight lifting.
The fitness center is a dedicated area for use by Viterbo University and select Boys and Girls Club full-time staff. To use the fitness center, an individual needs to be at least 18 years old.
A patron must present their ID to gain access to the fitness center. This is to ensure that the Mathy Center members are able to use the facility as it is appropriated. Organized athletic team practices are not allowed to occur in the fitness center.
The fitness center is located on second floor on the left side of the building next to the track.
- Fitness Center Users are current Viterbo students, employees, paid alumni with a valid ID, and full-time Boys and Girls Club Staff with an approved ID. All Users must use their Viterbo ID to enter the Fitness Center.
- No children under the age of 18 are permitted in the Fitness Center.
- Fitness Center Attendants are on duty to enforce all rules and prevent misuse of the equipment. Attendants are NOT instructors, and are not authorized to give instruction on the equipment.
- Volunteer spotters are recommended when using free weights.
- Fitness Center attendants will not spot Users.
- FULL T-shirts are required at all times. T-shirts must cover the entire back, torso, and shoulders.
- Sports bras, bathing suit tops, halter-tops, etc. are not acceptable.
- No street shoes – only clean and dry athletic-type shoes are allowed in the Fitness Center (no sandals or flip-flops).
- No food or open beverages are permitted.
- Only bottled drinks in plastic containers with screw on lids are permitted.
- Be considerate by allowing others to work in between your multiple sets or repetitions.
- All equipment should remain in the Fitness Center.
- Wipe down equipment after each use.
- All weights and equipment are to be returned to the proper location after use.
- Chalk use is not permitted in the Fitness Center.
- Be aware and courteous of others around you.
Recreation and Leadership has a variety of equipment for patrons. All cardio equipment is manufactured by Precor with the exception of one piece, the SciFit. The weight machines and free weight area is manufactured by Magnum. There are many different pieces of equipment in the Fitness Center available for patron use.
Workouts can vary from light to high intensity based on programs, speeds, inclines, or resistance preferences.
|a piece of indoor cardio equipment, it is used to allow for the walking and running motions while staying in one place. The principle is a belt or tread system where the top of the belt moves to the rear so as to allow a runner to run a set speed. Setting the speed is relatively easy as is choosing program options or adjusting the incline of the machine.|
|(aka: cross trainer) is a stationary exercise machine used to simulate walking or running without causing excessive pressure to the joints, decreasing the risk of impact injuries. Most ellipticals are designed to work both the upper and lower body. It is also designed to elevate the heart rate more than building muscles. There are two types of ellipticals in our facility—the standard as well as others with adjustable inclines.|
Weight Machines - Lower Body
Weight Machines - Upper Body
|is a piece of equipment used in weight training. This can be used for any barbell exercise in which the barbell moves vertically up and down, such as the squat or bench press. It consists of a barbell that is constrained to move only vertically on steel runners. It often includes a weight rack in the base to help stabilize it.
Behind each runner is a series of slots which the barbell can be hooked. Unlike an ordinary barbell, the Smith machine need not be re-racked after a set of repetitions. It can be secured at any point.
Because it cannot fall forward, backward or sideways, it is considered safer to use than an ordinary barbell, especially when one is lifting without a spotter. Since the weight does not need to be stabilized, this allows unstable lifters to lift more weight. However, there is a risk of force loss by applying it improperly, which can reduce the amount of weight being lifted.
Free Weight and Cable Machines
|is a multipurpose machine which is located in the far corner of the fitness center. This machine can be used to perform a variety of exercises to work multiple muscle groups. It works by using a pulley system with cables and weights. Unlike the other machines, it does not make both sides of the body work together at the same pace. It is not recommended that beginners or inexperienced lifters use this without proper instruction.|
For more information, feel free to ask a personal trainer (when available) or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org