The Summer Institute is designed for professionals from throughout the United States and other countries who require the convenience of being in residence on the Viterbo University campus in La Crosse, Wisconsin for two weeks each summer.
- The Master of Arts in Servant Leadership (MASL) degree can be completed in five Summers sessions and one Fall semester Colloquium.
MASL Sample Course of Study: 5 Summers, Fall Colloquium
- May finish more quickly by enrolling in additional online courses between their summers in residence.
MASL Sample Course of Study: 2 Years, 6 Semesters, Fall Colloquium
- The program is based on the principles of adult learning in which students build on their professional and life experiences in acquiring new information.
- Learning takes place within a collegial atmosphere using active learning strategies, discussions, small group work, and other activities.
- In addition to creating a learning community, participants are immersed in worship and a spiritual environment that is open to members of all faiths.
- The current program participants and MASL alumni represent the countries of India, Rwanda, South Sudan and Vietnam and the states of Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington and Wisconsin.
- Summer Institute is a blend of online work and a two week block of intensive study on campus, enabling learners to earn the 30 credits required for the Master of Arts in Servant Leadership.
- Adult learners access course syllabi via an online course delivery system, work at a distance, and network via Moodle and Email with professors and learner colleagues prior to coming to La Crosse for the concentrated two week summer experience.
- Course readings and assignment completion are required prior to, during, and following each summer session.
- Tuition costs are reasonable.
- Participants with significant previous experience related to servant leadership may prepare a portfolio consideration toward graduate credit.
- Online courses may be taken to accelerate a student's progress toward the degree.
- Learners residing in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, or Iowa may also choose to enroll in face-to-face courses taught on campus during fall and spring semesters.
- The Viterbo University MASL program accepts up to nine graduate credits for coursework earned within the last ten years.
- La Crosse is a small city (population 51,000) nestled in the beautiful bluffs of the Mississippi River.
- La Crosse area offers a multitude of options for recreational activities such as fishing, hiking, biking, golfing, and boating.
- Viterbo University campus includes new and updated residential apartments, dining options, a bookstore, a library, a university church, and a fitness facility.
- Across from campus is St. Rose Convent, mother-house of Viterbo University's founders, the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration. The sisters have been maintaining perpetual adoration since 1878 in the Maria Angelorum Chapel, located at the convent.
- La Crosse is served by two airlines (American and Delta), Amtrak, and bus lines.
- Private vendors offer ground shuttle service from the Rochester and Minneapolis-St. Paul airports to La Crosse.
- La Crosse travel may be accomplished by way of a taxi, Uber, Lyft, rental car, or city bus.
Summer Institute Housing
- On-campus, furnished apartments are available for the MASL Summer Institute participants.
- Local hotels and B& B's offer reasonable rates to MASL students.