Individual Grant Parameters
Eligibility: Faculty development grants are open to all full time or permanent part-time employees with faculty status with direct contributions to teaching and learning. Faculty that have not submitted their final reports for any grants received in the previous two years will not be eligible. Faculty may request up to $1,500 per year for domestic-activities or $2,100 per year for international activities.the
New for the 2018-2019 academic year- rather than a rolling application process, funding proposals will be due on first day of each month, and will be considered the follwing week utilizing the critera below. Participants will be notified within two weeks of submission.
Purpose: Faculty development funds are available to encourage faculty growth through underwriting pedagogical development and pursuit of scholarly and creative endeavors. The following provides a sample of covered expenses.
- Attending conferences, workshops, exhibitions, and seminars pertaining to either one’s teaching areas or scholarship. Including support for administrative roles in conferences or workshops.
- Presenting new research (Poster, Round table, Panel, Musical or other artistic work) or other scholarly work (invited paper, Keynote address, musical or theater performance) for academic peers.
- Other forms of scholarly activities that may not conform to established standards must be justified and supported by department/dean.
- Resources related to bringing in outside personnel for on-site professional development.
- Support for research directly related to one’s scholarship or teaching including: purchasing books, data sets, assessments, journals, professional memberships, lab supplies, instruments, analytical and testing services. Items purchased become property of Viterbo University.
- Professional travel to archives, museums, exhibits, historical centers or sites, musical and theater productions directly tied into ones teaching or scholarship.
- Support for materials to develop new courses.
- Other activities not directly referenced that foster joint faculty-student scholarship or enhance instructional skills (individual or institutional).
- Costs related to public dissemination of scholarly products including publication or performance.
The following review criteria will guide the evaluation of each funding proposal:
- Full-time faculty holding tenure-track positions will be given preference; full-time non-tenure track faculty will be given second preference. Permanent part-time faculty and instructors will be given third preference.
- Proposals from faculty who have not recently received a FD grant will be considered more favorably than faculty who have recently been granted faculty development funding.
- Priority will be given to activities that directly support the mission of Viterbo University, the applicant’s progress toward tenure and promotion will also be given priority. Activities including conference presentations, and activities that may lead to a paper/poster for presentation or publication will be granted highest priority.
- Applications from faculty who have not filed Final reports and expense forms from previous grants awarded by the FDC will not be considered.
The faculty development grant uses an online form submission process. Follow these instructions.
Complete a response to each of the items 1-4 listed below and save as a Word (.docx) or PDF file. Click the button below to download and save a template:
- Provide a description of the proposed project or activity and include dates/times/locations. If you are applying just to attend a conference for the first time, what aspects of the conference might you consider in planning your own presentation submission at next year’s conference?
- Specify at least three professional development outcomes that you hope to achieve by engaging in the proposed activity. At least one of those outcomes must demonstrate how the activity/experience will provide a direct influence on teaching and learning individually or institutionally. Use the following format to identify a method to assess your successful achievement of stated outcomes and/or measurable progress toward achieving the outcomes by submission of your final report (within a couple of weeks after the event).
A note for conference participants: Not all conferences “deliver” the information or ideas that we anticipate. In the end, if you did not learn what you hoped to bring back to your teaching, please describe that experience in your final report. Information should be submitted following this format for ALL outcomes:
Objective A: Title of objective
Intended Outcome (from questions 2 and 3 above): What is expected to come from this objective/learning activity or project?
Evaluation: How will success be measured?
Potential Implementation: What might be implemented into teaching responsibilities? Please be specific about this.
- Do you have the support of your dean or department chair for this project?
- Do you have access to other institutional funding for this activity? If yes, please explain the rationale for utilizing FD funds for the activity.
Fill out and save the Budget Worksheet to your computer. This is a fillable PDF that you should download and open in Adobe Reader (if you open it in another application, you may not be able to fill it out and save it). Be sure to save the completed file on your computer.
Once you have downloaded and completed the documents from Steps 1 and 2, please complete the following online application. In this form, you will be asked to upload the files you have prepared in Steps 1 and 2, so please have them ready.
Grant Follow-up and Final Report Instructions
After completing the conference or professional development activity for which you had an approved Faculty Development grant, each faculty member needs to complete the following items:
Within 10 days of returning from travel or at the completion of the event, submit a completed travel expense form (travelexpenseform.xls) to the Business Office with appropiate receipts to be reimbursed for your pre-approved incurred expenses (ones found on your Budget Sheet in your application).
Submit a final reflection of the project via the following form below. For grants that were approved within the fall semester, final reports are due by spring break of the following semester. For grants approved in the spring semester, final reports will be due by fall break of the subsequent semester. Applicants not filing reports will be ineligible for subsequent funding from the Faculty Development Grants Fund for two years.
Be ready to respond to the following (prepare your answers):
- Briefly explain your project. Please include the date(s), location, and names of important members of your project.
- Intended Outcomes Report. Please review the stated objectives from your proposal, your intended mode of assessment of those outcomes and reflect on what level you were able to achieve those goals. Address how successfully you met the outcomes stated in the original proposal.
- Integration to Viterbo. Please reflect on how your experience will affect your professional life and responsibilities at Viterbo. You could talk about integration into youconsider your classroom, your scholarly research and/or your civic work.
- Unexpected Outcomes. You may also describe outcomes that were not anticipated, and thus not indicated in the original application.