Tau House – Cincinnati (May 13–18, 2019)
The Tau House Service Immersion will focus on the Franciscan traditions of simplicity, service, and community. Students will stay at Tau House and go out into the greater Cincinnati area to serve in a variety of settings. There will be ample opportunities for community, reflection, and prayer. Activities will include: witness speakers to educate about homelessness, supper with the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor, service and work sites, and lots of fun.
The trip will be going to Cincinnati, Ohio to work with Franciscan Sisters for the Poor through their Tau House program. The Tau House focuses on exposing participants to the Franciscan traditions of simplicity, service, community, and spirituality. Our group of 12 people come and spend a week living simply in community with one another while serving in various service agencies in the greater Cincinnati area. Tau House provides the housing, food, and service assignments, as well as social, educational, and prayer opportunities throughout the experience.
What Kind of Work Will We Be Doing?
One of the things that makes the Tau House program unique is that you will be scheduled to work some place different every day. This allows participants an opportunity to discern where their gifts may lie and how they can utilize their gifts back home by experiencing a variety of work-sites. We highly recommend participants serve at a combination of indirect and direct service sites. Most work-sites require groups arrive by 9am and stay until 3pm. A ½ hour lunch break is scheduled by the work-site. Some work-sites’ hours are slightly different (ie: 10am-4pm or 9am-2:30pm).
Activities of the Week:
- Prayer opportunities and reflection activities
- Witness speakers from the Cincinnati Homeless Coalition or Heartfelt Tidbits
- An evening supper with the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor and a tour of their mother house
- Service & work sites
- Activities in the larger Cincinnati area
- Departure - The group will be leaving Viterbo University the morning of Monday, May 13th, 2019.
- Return - The group will leave Cincinnati the early afternoon of Saturday, May 18th, 2019 and be back to Viterbo in the late evening. (Times TBD)
- Cost - $50