Viterbo is located in beautiful La Crosse, Wis.—a city with a population of 52,000 in a metropolitan area of over 150,000, amid majestic bluffs and scenic valleys on the Mississippi River. U.S. News & World Report named La Crosse as one of the nation's 10 Best Places to Live and USA Today named it #7 of the top 25 best small college towns. Campus academic and residential facilities are located on approximately two acres on the city's south side. Viterbo's soccer, softball, and baseball fields are located approximately 3.5 miles north of the main campus.
Here at Viterbo, we believe learning is a life long process involving more than just academics. It’s also about experiencing life and growing intellectually, culturally, and spiritually. Students can expect to be challenged and supported. We have a 11:1 student-to-faculty ratio, state-of-the-art facilities, and a faculty that cares deeply about the success of each and every student.
Glena Temple, Ph.D.
Viterbo's main campus is located in La Crosse, Wis., with satellite centers in West Allis, Wis., and Des Moines, Iowa
Origin of Name
The city of Viterbo, Italy, is the namesake of the university. Viterbo was home to St. Rose of Viterbo. This young Franciscan woman is the patroness of the FSPA, the order of sisters which founded Viterbo.
The Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration (1890)
Viterbo has term, semester, and weekend sessions throughout the calendar year. Current academic calendar.
|Full-time - 79%||Part-time 21%|
|Female - 73%||Male - 27%|
Enrollment (Fall 2018)
2,610 overall students
1,700 total undergraduate headcount
910 total graduate headcount
285 full and part-time permanent employees
98% of our undergraduate students receive financial aid; more than 100 scholarship funds and an array of aid packages; average financial aid need met is 85%.
Undergraduate Class Sizes
Average class size is 16; no classes are taught by teaching assistants or graduate students
Average full-time undergraduate tuition, fees, and room/board for 2018–19: $37,030
Viterbo Red and Viterbo Navy
Programs of Study
More than 40 undergraduate degree programs, seven graduate degrees, and multiple certification programs
- College of Business, Performing Arts, and Leadership
Dahl School of Business
School of Performing Arts
Master of Arts in Servant Leadership
D.B. Reinhart Institute for Ethics in Leadership
- College of Education, Engineering, Letters, and Sciences
School of Education
School of Humanities
School of Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering
- College of Nursing, Health, and Human Behavior
School of Nursing
School of Health and Human Behavior
- Graduate Programs in Education
- Master of Arts in Servant Leadership
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Science in Nutrition Sciences
- Graduate Programs in Nursing
- Ed.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision
1:11 Faculty to Student Ratio (FTE)
16 average class size
Overall placement rates exceeding 96% for more than the past decade and a 100% rate for the most recent graduating class.
- San Damiano Chapel (1914)
- Student Development Center (1926)
- Murphy Center (1941)
- Brophy Center (1954)
- Marian Hall (1957)
- Bonaventure Hall (1965)
- Fine Arts Center (1970)
- Treacy House (1975)
- McDonald Terrace (1975)
- Varsity Athletics Center (1987)
- Rose Terrace (1997)
- Outdoor Athletics Complex (1998)
- Physical Plant Building (2001)
- D.B. and Marge Reinhart Center for Ethics, Science, and Technology (2003)
- Amie L. Mathy Center for Recreation and Education (2005)
- School of Nursing Building (2011)
- Clare Apartments (2012)
- Weber Center for the Performing Arts (2013)
Viterbo is a member of the NAIA, North Star Athletic Association.
The university offers:
- men’s and women's basketball
- baseball and softball
- men's and women's bowling
- men's and women's cross country
- men's and women's golf
- men's and women's soccer
- men's and women's volleyball
- men's and women's track (indoor/outdoor)
- co-ed competitive dance
We are committed to the true spirit of competition. Viterbo embraces the five core character values of the NAIA Champions of Character program which are respect, integrity, responsibility, servant leadership, and sportsmanship.