Viterbo employees who are traveling on university-related business and persons coordinating student travel are expected to read the Viterbo University Travel Policy in full and adhere to the stipulations outlined in it.
General Guidelines of the Travel Policy include:
- Viterbo employees must inform the immediate supervisor of travel for university business or university-related travel no less than 24 hours prior to departure.
- All international travel must be pre-approved in writing by the supervising dean and/or vice president.
- All student travel must be pre-approved in writing by the supervising dean and/or vice president in advance of travel for classes, conferences, athletic competitions, student organization activities. (These directors also pre-approve travel for specific student groups: Director of Athletics for student athlete travel, Director of Campus Activities and Orientation for student organization travel, and Director of Recreational Sports for intramural and sports club travel.)
- An employee or student is in university travel status when traveling on university-related business whether or not expenses will be reimbursed by the university.
- Supervising deans, vice presidents, and/or the president reserve the right to cancel, modify, or substitute any student or employee travel.
- Any exception(s) to this policy must be approved in writing by the supervising dean, vice president, and/or president.
- Ensure that all trip participants complete the required forms prior to submitting the Online Student Travel Request Form.
- If required information is not available for all trip participants, trip approval may be delayed and/or denied.
- An explanation of travel-related forms is provided here:
- Online Student Travel Request Form – completion of this online form is required to request all student travel.
- Emergency Contact and Medical Information Form – Emergency and Medical Information Forms are available for completion by clicking on Emergency Contact in Vit Net. This form is required for all students and trip leaders participating in mandatory student travel more than five miles from the Viterbo campus. (This form may also be used for non-mandatory/optional within five miles of the Viterbo campus.)
- Student Participant Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability Form – Students typically sign this online release when they first enroll at the university. This form is required for all students participating in mandatory student travel more than five miles from the Viterbo campus. (This form may also be used for non-mandatory/optional activities held at a location within five miles of the Viterbo campus.)
- Completion of this form is required to request that a student travel in her/his own vehicle. Approval of this request is quite rare.
- Travel Expense Form- Completion of this form is necessary for reimbursement of employee travel expenses.
Officials Approving Student Travel
The following university officials are responsible for approving travel for the areas listed:
- Dean of the College of Business, Performing Arts, and Leadership approves student travel related to classes within this college.
- Dean of the College of Education, Engineering, Letters, and Sciences approves student travel related to classes within this college.
- Dean of the College of Nursing, Health, and Human Behavior approves student travel related to classes within this college.
- Assistant Director for Student Engagement approves student travel coordinated by registered student organizations.
- Director of Athletics approves student travel related to intercollegiate athletic competition.
- Director of Recreational Sports approves student travel related to intramural sports and sports clubs.
- Director of Service Learning approves student travel related to class service learning and student internships.
- Director of Study Abroad approves student travel outside of the U.S.
- Vice President for Academic Affairs approves all other student travel planned within the division of Academic Affairs.
- Vice President for Student Affairs approves all other student travel planned within the division of Student Affairs.