Follow These Tips
- Dial 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Do not walk or jog alone especially after dark. Take a friend or neighbor along for company.
- To request a Safe Walk escort when walking on campus and/or in the surrounding neighborhood call Campus Safety at 608-796-3911 or 608-780-1582.
- To be prepared for adverse situations, add these phone numbers to the contact list on your cell phone: 911 for emergencies, and Campus Safety at 608-796-3911 and/or 608-780-1582.
- At night, walk in well-lit areas whenever possible. Choose busy streets and avoid going through vacant lots, alleys, or other deserted areas.
- Carry purses and bags close to your body and keep a firm grip on them. Avoid pickpockets by carrying your wallet in an inside coat pocket or front trouser pocket.
- Stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings, wherever you are.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave right away and get help if necessary.
- Be aware and be prepared. Don't be taken by surprise. Stand tall and walk confidently.
- Get to know the neighborhoods and neighbors where you live, go to school, and work.
Personal Protection Tools
These items are available at the Student Development Center from Denise Homstad.
Keychain alarms with light will be sold for $14. When the supply is depleted, we will order more. Keychain alarms are useful in deterring assailants.
Free whistles are available. Those with cell phones must add 911 and campus security to their phone contact list to obtain a whistle. Whistles are useful in deterring assailants.
Additional safety tips are available at: